Zuppa Toscana Soup
Number of Servings: 4-6
2 large potatoes
¼ Cup Bacon
1 lb Italian Sausage
16 ounces chicken broth
1 qt water
2 garlic cloves
2 cups chopped kale
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 large onion
Brown sausage, drain and set aside. Saute onion and bacon over medium heat until onions are translucent. Place sausage, onions, bacon, garlic, potatoes, chicken broth and water in crock pot*. Cook on low 4-6 hours. Add kale and whipping cream before serving.
*can also be done in pot on stove top.
4 turnips, chopped and peeled
1 bunch green onions
2 Granny Smith apples, cored and chopped
4 sliced canned pineapple, chopped
½ cup white sugar
1 tbsp water
¼ tsp pepper
¼ cup vegetable oil
1 tsp salt
1. Boil turnips until tender but still firm. Cool.
2. Combine turnips, onions, apples, pineapple and sugar.
3. Whisk oil, water, salt and pepper.
4. Toss and refrigerate overnight.
Stacked Roasted Vegetable Enchiladas
Vegetables: Any combination of carrots, summer squash, cauliflour, broccoli, onion, corn, peppers, sweet potatoes…your choice! Possibly turnips and kohlrabi
Garlic – minced
Salt and pepper
2 cups salsa
2 cups grated cheese
Corn tortillas – quartered into triangles
1. Cut the vegetables into matchsticks or cubes and toss with olive oil, garlic, cumin and salt and pepper. Roast in a 425 degree oven until tender.
2. Layer in a 8 x 8 baking dish (like a lasagna) the following: ½ cup salsa, corn tortillas, vegetables, spinach and ½ cup cheese.
3. Cover with foil and bake at 350 until heated through.
Honey-Glazed Carrots and Parsnips
3 medium sized carrots
3 medium sized parsnips
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp honey
1 tsp dried thyme
2 tbsp water
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. Peel the carrots and parsnips. Cut the parsnips into halves or quarters (so they are about the same size as the carrots.
3. Place all the vegetables in a single layer on a baking tray.
4. Drizzle the veggies with oil and honey; sprinkle over with dried thyme. Shake to tray to more evenly distribute the toppings. Add the water to the tray.
5. Roast for 1 hour until the carrots and parsnips are golden brown.
Curried Carrot Soup
Number of Servings: 4-6
1 cup chopped onion
1 tsp minced, fresh garlic
2 cups peeled and diced carrots
1 cup peeled and diced potatoes
5 cups vegetable broth
1 Tbsp curry powder
½ cup flour
1 cup milk
2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
Salt to taste
In a large saucepan, combine the onions, carrots, potato, broth, curry powder and garlic. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
Blend in the flour. Remove from the heat and cool slightly. Puree the cooked mixture with a blender. Any lumps will disappear in this step. Return the mixture to the saucepan and add the milk, cilantro and salt. Reheat on medium setting for about 5 minutes to serve.
Quinoa: The Everyday Superfood 365; Patricia Green & Carolyn Hemming